Ocular Pathology Laboratory
We don’t do research as an intellectual exercise. We do research because there is a patient at the end of the day.Dr. Miguel N. Burnier, MD, PhD, FRCSC
DONATE NOW >
Support the Ocular Pathology LabDownload the Donation Form HereNearly 500,000 Canadians are estimated to be living with a form of vision loss, which can have significant physical, emotional and financial impact on them and their families. With an aging population and the prevalence of vision loss in Canada expected to increase nearly 30 percent in the next decade, continued research in the field of ocular medicine is now becoming increasingly important in the hope of finding new treatments, and ultimately cures for these devastating illnesses.
The MUHC’s Ocular Pathology Laboratory strives to translate basic research findings into treatment options for patients living with ocular disease. It is an international leader in research, education and consultation and the lab’s expertise is complimented with some of the most innovative research equipment and technology available.
As one of the largest laboratories in the world conducting ocular metastasis research, the team is working to find a cure for uveal melanoma, the most common type of ocular cancer that is mostly found in adults. Uveal melanoma has a very low survival rate and almost half of those who are diagnosed will succumb to the disease because it has the ability to spread rapidly to other organs, particularly the liver, where it is often diagnosed. The lab is working to change this outcome by developing more effective treatments while also investigating how these cancer cells spread, which may have an impact on a range of other ocular diseases.
In order for the MUHC to maintain its position as an international centre and hub for ocular disease clinical care and research, it must:
- Recruit the world’s top talent and provide them with specialized training to develop new treatments for ocular diseases
- Expand the lab’s expertise to include cornea and lens speciality (cataracts)
- Train the next generation of students on state-of-the-art equipment that is at the forefront of ocular care
- Build a global network for training, research and clinical work in ocular diseases so that we can not only share but benefit from advances made in other countries and other populations
- Facilitate early diagnosis and develop personalized treatments and therapies for patients living with ocular diseases
How you can help
We are raising funds to support the needs of the MUHC’s Ocular Pathology Laboratory.