Solve humanity’s deadliest puzzles.
At this moment, rogue bacteria are raging through North American hospitals, making even routine surgeries high-risk.
Meanwhile diseases like Ebola and Zika, with a foothold in parts of Africa and South America, pose a threat to all of humanity.
In some cases, we have the medicines to save lives but lack the means to deliver them. In others, we’re nearly powerless as pathogens evolve faster than we can discover new medicines.
Already, too many are perishing. 700,000 lives lost this year due to antibiotic resistance, projected at 10 million by 2050.
A robust and balanced immune system is the best protection. Not only against these global scourges, but also against many cancers. However, the wrong type of immune response can also trigger dire reactions in the form of allergic or autoimmune disorders.
Clearly, we need to change the game. We need to accelerate research on infection and immunity… and to usher breakthroughs into practice.
The McGill Interdisciplinary Initiative in Infection and Immunity (MI4) will do exactly that.
With your help.
MI4. AN AMBITIOUS PLAN TO GENERATE ANSWERS AND DELIVER SOLUTIONS.
Building on a partnership between the McGill Faculty of Medicine and the McGill University Health Centre, MI4 now reaches across campuses, hospitals, institutes and labs. We’re united by an ambitious plan to solve humanity’s most urgent health challenges. We have the expertise and scope. We have the partners and leadership.
DELIVERING ANSWERS TO MEET A GLOBAL CRISIS.
Infections are the second-most common cause of death worldwide. They kill 8.7 million people each year, and are responsible for two-thirds of deaths in children under five. The astounding gains humanity has made since the discovery of antibiotics in the 1930s are now in retreat. With just one solution in sight.
By donating to MI4 you support a VISIONARY INVESTMENT TO DEFEAT:
- Antimicrobial Resistance. We’ll develop novel treatment and prevention strategies that pathogens can’t outsmart.
- Emerging and Re-emerging Diseases. We’ll work to halt infectious diseases from spreading, at their source, on every continent.
- Diseases in Vulnerable Populations. We’ll bring the fight against the deadliest diseases directly into vulnerable communities.
- Diseases of Altered Immunity. We’ll “hack” the immune system to defeat inflammatory disease and cancer, making breakthroughs in allergy, autoimmune and oncology treatments.
ARMED WITH NEW DISCOVERY PLATFORMS, WE CAN MAKE OUR VISION A REALITY.
From fundamental discovery, to better clinical tools, and practical solutions that improve patient care.
We’ll shape Quebec, Canadian and global health care policy… and save lives. WITHIN 5 YEARS, MI4 WILL:
- ELIMINATE HEPATITIS C from Montreal and show the world a way forward.
- TACKLE THE TB EPIDEMIC in Canada by partnering with local communities, policy makers and health care systems to deliver innovative treatments at home and across the globe.
- DELIVER A DENGUE VACCINE to vulnerable populations around the world.
Image, from left: MI4 Co-Director (Immunity) Dr. Marie Hudson, Director Dr. Don Sheppard, and Co-Director Dr. Marcel Behr (Infectious Disease)
“If nothing changes, the bugs will win. So we’re working on strategies the bugs can’t evolve around.”
– Dr. Don Sheppard, Director and Founder, MI4
HELP US SOLVE HUMANITY’S DEADLIEST PUZZLES.
For more information, to make a donation or to get involved, please contact Miguel Burnier, Interim Director of Development, at 514-934-1934, ext. 71205, Miguel.firstname.lastname@example.org