In 2016, with the help of donors like you, the McGill University Health Centre and Royal Victoria Hospital Foundations supported the purchase of vital equipment and funded patient care, education, and research initiatives. Here is a snapshot of the impact of your generosity:
- Celebrated the completion of The Best Care for Life Led by the MUHC Foundation, this campaign raised more than $300 million in support of the construction of the new hospital at the Glen site of the MUHC and renovations to our constituent hospitals.
- Contributed towards the purchase of new beds for our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit – helping to improve the lives of some of our tiniest patients.
- Funded the purchase of a new tomosynthesis mammography unit for the MUHC’s breast clinic – a revolutionary piece of equipment that will greatly improve the speed and accuracy of a diagnosis of breast cancer and reduce radiation exposure for hundreds of patients each year.
- Provided on-going support for Dr. Lucy Gilbert’s DOvEE project (Diagnosing ovarian and endometrial cancer early) – her clinical study is focused on finding a test that aims to increase survival rates for these deadly cancers.
- Purchased the ZONE Ultra sonography system for the Cardiovascular Surgery Department. This new cardiac ultrasound helps to provide a more efficient diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
- Supported the ground-breaking work of our researchers by funding clinical trials and studies within the Research Institute of the MUHC’s primary research programs and laboratories including: cancer, arthritis, respiratory and metabolic disease.
- Established the Ken Verdoni Liver Metastases Research Fellowship. The award’s first recipient, Nisreen Samir Ibrahim, is researching the distinct ways in which colon cancer spreads to the liver and refining treatment strategies for the management of metastatic disease.
- Improved wait times for minimally invasive gynaecological surgery by purchasing video endoscopy equipment.
- Supported training and specialized certification for our nursing team.
- Advanced patient education by supporting the development of new print and online resource materials for patients faced with the diagnosis of debilitating diseases.
- Funded the continuation of the MUHC’s first smoking cessation program called Impact. This customized program has already demonstrated dramatic improvements in success rates for patients at the MUHC and was in danger of being cancelled without our support.
- Launched the Desjardins Centre for Advanced Training, to do our part to support the training of the medical innovators of tomorrow. In conjunction with our Research Institute, new professional skills training and career development opportunities are provided to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Supported the MUHC’s Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, which runs 24/7, 365 days / year. The physicians in this lab have taught and trained the next generation of specialists around the globe via their “live cases”.
These are but a few examples of the impact of your generosity. Click here if you’d like to make an impact on healthcare in your community.